Mediven provides custom molecular and aptamer development services. With our know-how and patents, we develop and manufacture:
R & D Services
- Modified endpoint, endpoint and real-time PCR tests for the detection of diseases and organisms.
- DNA and RNA aptamer-based tests as alternatives to antibodies
- We also have in-depth experience and knowledge in chemical surface modification for the development of sensors in bioengineering
Mediven provides these services to address several key areas in the diagnostics market:
- To increase accessibility of the industry to key platform technologies such as PCR, aptamers and bioengineering
- To provide faster development of diagnostics so that better diagnostics can reach those who need them most
- To develop aptamers as enhancements or replacements for antibodies as aptamers have higher sensitivity and are more cost-effective to manufacture in the long run
Mediven provides custom aptamer development services.
Why replace antibodies with Aptamers?
- Antibodies are protein-based, which are mostly unstable, while aptamers are highly stable nucleic acid based molecules
- Antibodies are big molecules with size above 150kDa while aptamer size is in the range of 20kDa.
- Antibodies are unstable molecules and hence development, manufacturing, and shipping are extremely challenging. Aptamers, on the other hand, are stable, and hence easier and more cost-effective to develop, manufacture and transport.
- Discovery time for antibodies could be 6 months or more, while aptamers can be identified in weeks.
- In vivo animal-based production processes are needed for antibodies while aptamer production processes are in vitro and synthetic.
- Antibody modification is restricted and uncontrollable, while aptamer modification is convenient and controllable
- Antibody work is based on lock & key basis and depends upon pockets of binding on targets while aptamer binding is based on surface recognition mechanism.